Zip Line Accident Leads to Woman's Flesh-Eating Disease
A Georgia woman is recovering after being infected with flesh-eating bacteria following a zip line accident. While there's no word of any legal action being taken, the snapped zip line could possibly be a basis for a negligence lawsuit.
Aimee Copeland, 24, was kayaking with friends when they decided to zip line using a homemade rope, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. When it was Copeland's turn, the rope broke. She fell and cut her leg. Doctors believe the cut was the catalyst that led to her infection.
Copeland's leg eventually had to be amputated. But her family warns she's not out of the woods yet.
The University of West Georgia master's student could lose more limbs, according to her family. Circulation in Copeland's hands and foot is poor, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.
Again, there are no talks of legal action, but if there were, a negligence cause of action could be possible.
Negligence allows a person to be sued for any harm caused as a result of that person's carelessness. A plaintiff must show it was the defendant's fault that harm occurred.
While there's no word yet on who was responsible for making the rope and securing the zip line, that person could potentially be liable for negligence.
However, even then, they could raise the defense that Copeland assumed the risk of injury by choosing to zip line.
Copeland remains in critical condition following her zip line accident. Deaths from flesh-eating bacteria are usually rare, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. Friends have established a fund to help pay for her medical costs.
- Flesh-Eating Bacteria Claims Georgia Woman's Leg After Zip Line Accident (New York Daily News)
- Negligence Law Guide (FindLaw)
- IL Man Drowns in Swan Attack (FindLaw's Injured)
- Proving Fault: What is Negligence? (FindLaw)