Pauly D's Baby Girl Creates a Legal Situation
"Jersey Shore" alum Pauly D's baby has put him in a legal situation that may change his daily "GTL" routine to gym, tan,... litigation.
According to TMZ, Pauly D's daughter is the result of his relationship with a woman identified as "Amanda." Both parents have reportedly filed court documents over custody of the baby.
Will Pauly D be able to fist pump his way into custody of his baby girl?
Pauly D v. Baby Mama
According to The Hollywood Gossip, Pauly D (whose legal name is Paul DelVecchio) has never seen his child, who was allegedly conceived during a Vegas hookup. But DelVecchio has taken a DNA test and "expressed that he was provide for his daughter financially."
Even though Pauly D is willing to provide child support, the rub seems to be how Amanda is treating the baby as a "lottery ticket." TMZ points to a photo that Amanda recently posted of the child, sitting in a high chair covered in $100 bills.
In Amanda's defense, she made sure to pursue the child support payments in the right way. She requested a paternity test and allowed Pauly D to confirm via DNA, which New Jersey potential dads are entitled to, reports The Star-Ledger.
With paternity apparently no longer an issue, the couple can go on to brawl over custody.
Custody of Pauly D's Child
Along the Jersey shore and elsewhere in the Garden State, parents seeking custody of their child(ren) must ask a court to consider:
- The relationship and distance between the parents,
- Any history of domestic violence or substance abuse,
- The needs of the child,
- Stability of the home environment,
- The fitness of each parent,
- The preference of the child (if old enough), and
- Each parent's home and work responsibilities.
New Jersey law allows for joint custody, but according to TMZ, Pauly D is convinced that Amanda is an unfit mother.
Parental fitness is one factor that the court will look at during Pauly D and Amanda's custody battle. Amanda's conduct in her home, her ability to support her child, and her experience with any other children may sway the judge in deciding custody.
The mother does not necessarily win sole custody by default anymore. Courts are generally more likely to compromise and institute some sort of visitation schedule.
Either way, Pauly D should hope that his child doesn't start blowing out her hair before preschool.
- Pauly D Has A Baby Girl With Former Fling, Says He's 'Excited' About Fatherhood (The Huffington Post)
- Law on Divorce and Child Custody - New Jersey (FindLaw)
- Usher's Ex Seeks Custody of Sons After Pool Accident (FindLaw's Celebrity Justice)
- Kim Zolciak's Mom Files Visitation Request to See Grandchildren (FindLaw's Celebrity Justice)