New Yorkers Start Tracking License Plate Numbers

By Minara El-Rahman on January 22, 2010 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

You may love New York, but New Yorkers certainly don't love out of state drivers! Parking in New York has never been easy, but some citizens want to change that. People living in the Woodhaven neighborhood in Queens are getting fed up with "parking hogs" taking up valuable real estate by parking their cars on the street for long periods of time. According to the New York Daily News, they are taking matters into their own hands by reporting cars with non-New York plates to their home states.

The New York Daily News quotes Edward Wendell, president of Woodhaven Residents Block Association as saying, We started looking for outside-the-box solutions for some of the quality-of-life issues. One resident said she hasn't been able to get a parking spot on her block for over a year."

While reporting these cars to their home states does not seem like it would do much, the Finance Department of New York actually signed a deal that would allow it to collect fines from vehicles are registered in 12 other states. This may give people who have recently moved an incentive to actually drag themselves to the DMV for a New York license plate.

Here is what you need to remember to do if you move to another state:

  • Remember to alert the post office of your relocation and new address
  • Make sure that you go to the DMV and change your plates, license and registration
  • Alert your banking institution of your new address
  • Make sure to notify your student loan corporation that you moved in order to prevent defaulting on it

For more information, please visit our Related Resources.

Related Resources:

Copied to clipboard