Magnet Toys Causing Injuries to Children

By Admin on July 17, 2007 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

A New York Times article is spotlighting a recent spate of injuries and lawsuits related to magnetic toys. Most of the incidents involve injuries to children -- including swallowing and inhalation of the magnets leading to intestinal perforation -- and surgery is required in some cases. According to the Times article, "more than two dozen incidents involving magnet toys have been recorded since 2003," including a number of injuries caused by Magnetix building sets (manufactured by MEGA Brands of Montreal). In April, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced that it had received "hundreds of complaints that magnets have fallen out of various toys" and "at least 33 cases where children swallowed loose magnets and required emergency surgery."

Copied to clipboard