Magic Meth Kingdom: DEA Seizes $2M Worth of Drugs in Disney Figurines
The happiest place on earth might be in Anaheim, California, or Orlando, Florida, or wherever you might happen across hundreds of knockoff wax Disney figures, each stuffed with about a pound of crystallized ice methamphetamine.
"This is a family-based theme, a Disney theme," DEA Atlanta Special Agent in Charge Robert Murphy told Atlanta's Fox 5, "but there's nothing good about what this would do to any family if this hit the street." We couldn't have put it better ourselves.
The shipment was allegedly on its way from Mexico, intercepted by DEA agents in Atlanta. (Another shipment of ceramic figurines was also seized, but they lacked the crystal meth and authorities believe it was a decoy.) The hundreds of figurines of Donald Duck, Pluto, the cast of Winnie the Pooh, and other Disney characters each contained around a pound of crystal meth each. The total haul was estimated at 500 pounds of meth, worth about $2 million on the street.
Drug Trafficking Devices
While law enforcement didn't release any further details on the Disney meth bust, it did get us thinking about some of our favorite creative drug traffickers:
- Empanadas Con Cocaine: Baggage Handlers Smuggled Drugs in Treats: Empanadas are wonderful and delicious. No wonder some enterprising drug smuggler used them (along with candy bar wrappers, candy, containers of sugar, and oatmeal cookie packages) to get cocaine into the country.
- Florida Mom Sells Drugs From Baby Stroller, Gets Busted: The fact that we had to differentiate between this Florida mom and another Edmonton mom who also got busted for selling drugs out of her baby's stroller means that parents are far too quick to use their kids as drug mules.
- Prison Love Letters' Stamps Used to Smuggle Drugs: Detectives: It's no cocaine-filled-empanada, but sneaking some opioids into jail via stamps is pretty creative nonetheless.
And none of these smugglers had to go and ruin our favorite cartoon characters in the drug-dealing process.
- $2M Worth of Meth Found in Disney Figurines in Gwinnett County (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
- 70-Year-Old Woman Arrested For Cocaine in Girdle (FindLaw's Legally Weird)
- Ice Cream Man Arrested for Serving Up Meth (FindLaw's Legally Weird)
- Don't Use Drones to Deal Drugs (FindLaw's Legally Weird)