Get Free Tax Help from the IRS on Saturday, March 21st
Taxpayers who earn $42,000 or less can get free tax preparation services this Saturday (March 21st) at more than 1,250 locations nationwide, under the Internal Revenue Service's annual "Super Saturday" tax filing assistance program.
The free income tax return filing assistance will be provided at more than 250 local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers that will be open on Saturday, and more than 1,000 community organizations that are partnering with the IRS to offer free taxpayer help. See the IRS "Super Saturday" Announcement for a state-by-state list of participating organizations and locations.
According to the IRS, it isn't just lower-income filers who can benefit from Super Saturday's offer of tax help: "Super Saturday is an opportunity for people, regardless of income, who may have a tax issue or who may be unable to pay their tax bill to visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center. The IRS can work with people to set up payment option plans that will prevent even greater penalties and interest. The IRS is committed to doing what it can to help financially distressed taxpayers who have played by the rules."
The Washington Post points out that free filing assistance can come in especially handy for taxpayers who have purchased a home since filing their last return: "Often buying a home moves you from the simple Form 1040-EZ to the much more complex Form 1040. And this year, tax credits for new buyers could add an additional layer of paperwork."
- IRS "Super Saturday" Announcement and List of Participating Organizations (IRS.gov)
- Taxpayer Assistance: State-Specific Resources (FindLaw)
- Washington Post: Free Tax Help Saturday
- Step-by-Step Guide to Filing Your Federal Taxes (FindLaw)
- IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center Locator (IRS.gov)
- If You Owe: Paying Your Taxes (FindLaw)
- Daily 2009 Tax Tips from the IRS (IRS.gov)
- Tax Laws: What's New for 2009? (FindLaw)
- 2009 Tax Center (FindLaw)