Four Law Firms Listed on Annual Best Companies to Work For List
Who knew? Working at a law firm is actually a great job. How do we know this? Because four law firms landed on Fortune's top 100 companies to work for list:
- Alston & Bird was recognized was having its own child-care campus a block away from its offices which provides full day care to 110 children.
- Bingham McCutchen was recognized for diversity and a comittment to community service and pro bono committments. Also scored second highest on the list regarding associate salary, with $219,888.
Nevermind how Fortune makes the picks for the list. With all of the stories of mass layoffs and a non-existent work/life balance, it is rather remarkable that any law firms made the list.
However, last year, there were actually two more firms on the list: Arnold & Porter and Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe. What did they do that caused them to drop off the list? Are the firms not as good as they were a year ago? That's always a question with lists like the Fortune and US News & World Report College rankings.
It is worth noting than none of the law firms on the Fortune list made it due to having a strong work-life balance or high number of telecommuters. That hardly comes as a surprise.
- Four Law Firms Make Fortune's List of 100 Best Places to Work (ABA Journal)
- Dean of Law School: Trust Me, You Really, Really Don't Want to Go to Law School (FindLaw's Greedy Associates Blog)
- Will LSAT Be Optional To Get Into Law School?