FDA Recall on Pretzels over Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein Salmonella Fears
Additional recalls linked to the one from the FDA announced last week, on foods containing Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (HVP) contaminated with Salmonella, are beginning to appear. The FDA announced Friday that the National Pretzel Company of Lancaster, Pa. is voluntarily recalling all Honey Mustard Onion flavored pretzels produced since December, 2009, due to the use in that product of the HVP recalled by Basic Food Flavors last week. No illnesses have been reported to date.
The Honey Mustard Onion seasoned pretzels under recall were distributed nationwide in retail stores and through re-packers. The products under recall and their UPC codes are as follows:
- HK Anderson Honey Mustard Pretzel Bites 3.5 oz, Code: 0-70271-00131-0
- HK Anderson Honey Mustard Pretzel Bites 9 oz, Code: 0-70271-00130-0
- HK Anderson Honey Mustard Pretzel Bites 18 oz, Code: 0-70271-00128-0
- CVS Honey Mustard Pretzel Bites 18 oz, Code: 0-50428-12015-6
- President’s Choice Honey Mustard Onion Pretzel Bite- 300 gr., Code: 0-60383-99222-4
- Safeway Honey Mustard Onion Nugget 10 oz, Code: 0-21130-29039-0
- Sunflower Markets Honey Mustard Nugget, Code: 8-59393-00041-4
- BULK –Honey Mustard Onion Pretzel Pieces, Code: n/a
- BULK- Honey Mustard Onion Pretzel Bites, Code: n/a
- BULK- Whole Grain Honey Mustard Nuggets, Code: n/a
For the full text of the FDA recall announcement, including the use by dates for the recalled products, click here.
Basic Food Flavors announced a recall of all products containing the HVP it produces after one company receiving the HVP reported the presence of Salmonella to the FDA as required under the new reporting regulations. For the announcement regarding the original Basic Food Flavors recall, go to: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/HVPCP/.
The FDA reminds consumers that Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, the elderly and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, an infection can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections, endocarditis and arthritis.
- National Pretzel Co. Announces Precautionary Recall of Honey Mustard Onion Seasoned Pretzels Because of Possible Health Risk (FDA)
- Salmonella Recall: HVP, a Common Food Flavoring, Contaminated (FindLaw's Common Law)
- Salmonella prompts processed-food recall (Washington Post)
- Salmonella Settlement: Outbreak Victims Receive $12 Mill (FindLaw's Common Law)